GSRC was established in 1942 and rowed from Clydesdale Amateur Rowing Club. In 1951, with the help of Glasgow Corporation, they established their own boat club at the East Boathouse in Glasgow Green. At that time fifteen Glasgow schools had rowing clubs with over 138 pupils rowing out of the club. By the early 1960s eighteen Glasgow Schools and over 500 pupils regularly took part in rowing activities at The Green on Wednesday afternoon and Saturday mornings.
Industrial action by teachers in the 1970s reduced the activity at the rowing club but St Mungo’s Academy, Whitehill Secondary, St Aloysius, Holyrood and Hutchesons' Grammar School continued to be active into the early 1980s. After that, unfortunately, numbers reduced further until the only activity in the boathouse were the pigeons who had taken up residence in the absence of any rowers. Members of Clydesdale Amateur Rowing Club helped maintain the boat fleet for use by children rowing out of senior clubs and over time the boathouse was reclaimed and put into some basic order.
The introduction of indoor rowing to all Glasgow Secondary Schools in 2007 sparked a revival in rowing activity amongst local children. Pupils from Lourdes and St Thomas Aquinas started rowing on the river out of the old boathouse or through local senior clubs.
In 2008 new life was injected to the GSRC Boathouse when The Glasgow Academy started rowing. They were joined by pupils from Lourdes Secondary, St Mungo’s, Hutchesons' Grammar School, St Aloysius and most recently Kelvinside Academy.
Now over 60 pupils from seven schools regularly row from the GSRC boathouse.
Several GSRC rowers have been selected to represent Scotland and Great Britain with two achieving gold medals at the World Junior Rowing Championships in 2015.